Pomegranate and Feta Salad
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package mixed baby greens
- 1 pomegranate, peeled and seeds separated
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 package crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make the candied pecans, pour the sugar in a small skillet and pour the pecans on top. Cook over medium heat until sugar melts and turns a caramel colour stirring constantly so that the nuts and sugar do not burn. Be patient! It takes a while for the sugar to start melting. Once the sugar turns a caramel colour coat keep stirring to coat the pecans with it. Pour pecans onto greased wax paper or aluminium foil to cool. Once pecans are cooled, break them into pieces.
Place the lettuce, pomegranate seeds, red onion, feta cheese, and pecan pieces into a large mixing bowl; set aside.
Whisk together the Dijon mustard, vinegar, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice (to taste), salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Pour over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.