Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 160g fettuccine or linguine
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 300G Swiss Brown Button Mushrooms , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine , dry
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken broth/stock , low sodium (or veg)
- 3/4 cup (185ml) thickened cream
- 1/3 cup (30g) parmesan , finely grated
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Extra parmesan , for serving
- Parsley , roughly chopped
Cook pasta in salted water for 1 minute less than time per packet (start this mid mushroom cook). Just before draining, scoop out 1 cup cooking water, then drain.
Melt butter and heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring regularly. When they start to sweat, add a pinch of salt and pepper.
When pretty golden (about 4 – 5 minutes), add garlic and cook until garlic is golden and mushroom is golden.
Stand back and add wine (it will be steamy!!), stir, scraping the bottom of the skillet. Simmer rapidly until wine is mostly evaporated and winey smell is gone.
Add broth, cream, parmesan, salt and pepper. Stir to dissolve parmesan and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
Transfer pasta into sauce, toss for 1 – 2 minutes until sauce thickens and coats pasta. If sauce gets too thick (rather than slick, see video), add a splash of reserved pasta cooking water.
Garnish with parsley and serve immediately with extra parmesan!