Blood Orange Salad With Baby Beets, Feta & Pine Nuts
- 1 bunch baby purple carrots, scrubbed or peeled
- 1 bunch Dutch carrots, scrubbed or peeled
- 1 bunch baby beets, trimmed and washed
- 6 blood oranges, plus juice of 1 more blood orange
- 100g rocket and baby spinach leaf mix
- 1 eschalot
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted and cut into slivers
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup (50g) pine nuts
- ¼ cup mint leaves, torn
- Redbelly vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon (20ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place carrots in an oven tray and drizzle with oil and season. Add beets wrapped in and place tray in the oven, turn it to 180’C (160’C fan-forced) and roast for 45- 60 minutes or until a skewer easily pierces the flesh. Remove until cool enough to handle. Peel beets using disposable gloves, then halve or quarter if large. Only halve carrots if large.
To peel Redbelly, using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice off the ends of each Redbelly. Stand up on one end, and carefully, following the contour of the Redbelly, cut down to remove the peel and the pith. Holding the fruit in one hand, cut down one side of the membrane on one segment, almost to the core. Cut down along the inside of the opposite membrane, to cut out a wedge with no pith or membrane attached. Repeat until you have cut out all segments. Squeeze juice out of the remaining core and add to juice for vinaigrette then discard the core.
For the vinaigrette: whisk all ingredients together until blended.
Arrange salad greens, eschalot, carrots, beets, dates and Redbelly segments in a large, flat serving bowl (or divide between four individual bowls). Sprinkle over feta cheese, pine nuts and mint. Dress with vinaigrette, toss lightly and serve immediately.
For this and more blood orange inspo visit www.redbellycitrus.com.au