Baby Red Lentil and Freekeh Tabbouleh
- ½ cup (100 g) dirt(y) baby red lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- ½ cup (90 g) cracked freekeh, rinsed
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways and chopped
- Handful of mint leaves, torn
- Handful of flat leaf parsley, sliced
- Handful of coriander, sliced
- 60 ml lemon juice
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt flakes and cracked black pepper
Place the lentils into a saucepan and cover with 2 cups of cold water, add the bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for approx. 30 mins or until the lentils are al dente. Drain and set aside to cool.
Place the freekeh with 1 cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 10 – 15 mins until freekeh is al dente and the water absorbed. Set aside to cool.
Combine the lentils and freekeh before serving onto plates. Top with spring onion, tomatoes, cucumber, mint, parsley, coriander, lemon juice and olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.